University of Waterloo
Situated in the heart of the Technology Hub of Canada, the University of Waterloo is a leading institution in innovation and entrepreneurship.
In a nutshell
Ranked amongst the leaders within the “Top Comprehensive Research University” in Canada*, the University of Waterloo welcomes around 36,000 students (including 6,500 international students). These students may choose their courses in the following fields: applied health, the arts, engineering, the environment, mathematics and sciences.
Since the first scientific collaborations in 2010 to the institutional relationship today, the partnership between UW and UBx has rapidly grown. Our joint actions cover a large range of activities, with a strong focus on collaboration in the following fields: functional materials for energy, nanoscience, health and environment.
Dates and key figures
- Since 2009: Over 30 doctoral students completed co-tutelle degrees between UBX and UW within the IDS FunMat program (Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate).
- December 2014: Signature of a framework agreement.
- 2015: Implementation of dedicated funding in each university to support cooperation with joint calls for proposals: 28 projects selected to date.
- 1 joint international training program at Bachelor level in bio-based chemistry.
- Organization of joint thematic workshops (including one in 2019 on artificial intelligence and health sciences).
- 1 joint institute project: "Institute of Intersections for Societal Benefit".
- 2020: The UBx-UW collaboration celebrates its 10 year anniversary!
Our institutions are ideally matched with promising potential to make major joint developments in nanomaterials and nanotechnologies, as well as several other areas of research that could significantly impact science and society.
Terry McMahon — Professor of Chemistry, University of Waterloo
1957: The University of Waterloo opened its doors with 74 students.
For more information, please consult the University of Waterloo website.