Accommodation in Bordeaux: check the instructions

Finding accommodation in Bordeaux can be a challenge! If you do not have a university residence and have not found a solution before leaving your home country, you will need to search for accommodation in the private sector.

Financial aid for accommodation

As with French students, you may qualify for student accommodation aid from the CAF (Caisse d’allocations familiales – Family Benefits Agency).

For this aid, you must be a student, have a rental contract in your name and not be responsible for any children. For non-EU students, you will need a residence permit that is valid for over 3 months.

You may complete your application on-line via the following website:


Security deposit/Rental payment guarantee

When renting an apartment, in most cases the payment of a security deposit is necessary (1 months’ rent) as well as a rental payment guarantee (this means providing the contact details of someone who will pay the rent if you are not able to). If you are not a scholarship student (CROUS), you may benefit from the aid system provided by the Regional Council of Aquitaine (Conseil regional d’Aquitaine) for these security/guarantee requirements. Consult their website for further details:


Accommodation insurance

Personal insurance is obligatory no matter your accommodation, whether you are staying with a friend or renting in the private sector. The insurance amount varies (between 40€ and 80€ per year) depending on the size of the apartment, the number of rooms and the risks insured (fire, theft, water damage, civil liability, damage to adjacent buildings…).