Department of Life and Health Sciences

The aim of the Department of Life and Health Sciences is to contribute to major developments in biology and medicine for the benefit of patients.

© Alexander Raths - Fotolia © Alexander Raths - Fotolia

The department develops research at an international level, characterized by a fundamental and translational approach and combining upstream research in the following fields: animal and plant biology, pharmacology and biophysics-chemistry, physiopathological research into the identification of targets, pre-clinical research into innovative animal models and clinical research of population health.

A strong focus is given to the promotion of technology transfer and the practical applications of its research.


The Department of Life and Health Sciences is made up of 35 research laboratories recognized under the five-year 2011-2015 research program contracts. Approximately 80% of these laboratories are associated with the CNRS, INSERM and INRA. The remaining 20% are made up of host teams.

Although they are spread across different sites (Carreire, Pessac, Talence, Villenave d’Ornon), these laboratories are organized into 5 “subject-based” communities (SFR): Technology for health, Neurosciences, Fundamental biology applied to medicine, Public-society health and Integrative biology and ecology, in partnership with INSERM, CNRS, INRA and Bordeaux Teaching Hospital (CHU).

This research organization means that these scientific projects have taken on certain major characteristics. Transverse projects have developed out of the complementary nature of research expertise and specific calls for projects. This transverse aspect played a key role in the success of the “Investments for the Future” and “SIRIC” calls for projects.

The department therefore aims firstly to maintain a structure in the form of research federations and, secondly, to organize transverse initiatives either internally or with teams from the other two research departments.

The presence of clinicians alongside fundamental scientists has facilitated exchanges between Health Sciences and Life Sciences, thus favoring the rapid transfer of fundamental knowledge towards medical innovation. Finally, these scientific projects have benefited from the implementation of well-equipped, shared technology platforms open to academic and industrial research which are now grouped together into a 6th “Infrastructure” SFR.

In addition, a Biomedical Innovation Technology Platform in partnership with the Bordeaux Teaching Hospital is a structure for developing new diagnostic and therapeutic tools in the field of biomaterials, functional substitution and investigation processes. It is linked to Bordeaux Liryc University Hospital.

The European Institute of Chemistry and Biology (EICB) is also developing research into physics-chemistry/chemistry/biology interfaces and is forming an incubator of young teams attached to the LHS and Science and Technology department research units.

Key figures

  • 28 research laboratories and 11 platforms
  • 2 doctoral schools and 509 PhD students
  • 395 lecturer-researchers

Updated on 09/11/2017


Emeric Lacroix
Administrative Manager

+33 (0)5 57 57 92 74
Contact by email