An Institute of Advanced Studies, plans for the future
This year, the University of Bordeaux is working towards an Institute of Advanced Studies. Within this context, a call for proposals is being published to host one or more international researchers. The role of the international researcher(s) will be to to help with the creation of this Institute, which will have an international dimension in the future.
Why create such an Institute?
As the University of Bordeaux advances with its numerous programs that reinforce its position within the international scientific landscape, it is important to ensure that the Bordeaux community is well prepared to participate in the deployment of such programs. With this in mind and taking its inspiration from the first such institute, the “Institute of Advanced Studies, Princeton”, the University of Bordeaux is planning the creation of its own Institute of Advanced Studies. The primary aim of this Institute will be to promote an environment that encourages flexibility in the way careers are carried out within the University.
What will the Institute represent?
This Institute will represent a privileged place for experimenting with new, unusual and innovative practices. Such practices, that do not fit in with usual academic routines, aim for excellence in research and originality in careers.
Creativity is thinking outside the box
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955) — Theoretical physicist
Who will the Institute be for?
- Researchers and lecturer-researchers: who wish to take a career break in order to explore a new path, experience the challenge of a different discipline;
- Students: who wish to learn and train themselves via research, immerse themselves in another discipline or department, develop new knowledge or skills;
- Staff: who wish to discover a new profession, alternative practices and who want to take some time to consider their work in a new light;
- General public and external contributors: who wish to explore contemporary issues, participate in scientific debates through events that are organized in the city of Bordeaux.
Fellow call 2018
The University of Bordeaux is offering to host one or several fellows in 2018/2019 to help with the development of an Institute of Advanced Studies in Bordeaux:
- Mission: conduct a research project that promotes values such as creativity, interdisciplinarity and "out-of-the-box" thinking.
- Duration: 12 months (4 months stay minimum) for the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Selection: the appointed fellow(s) will be selected among academics from any disciplinary background, and should propose an impactful research program that promotes dynamic connections with local communities.
This year, four pilot projects are already being implemented to test out new creative and interdisciplinary practices, all based on the principle of risk-taking.
The Institute will NOT be...
...a research funding tool, a project based on a specific topic, a research promotion tool, nor a new structure. Rather it will be an Institute “without walls”.
Department of strategic projects
The Initiative of Excellence of the University of Bordeaux supports the creation of an Institute on the basis of scientific excellence, educational change and innovative projects that benefit the entire university community.