ENLIGHT RISE, the Research and Innovation program of the alliance, is retained by the European Commission!
ENLIGHT RISE, the Research and Innovation program of the ENLIGHT alliance, has passed the evaluation phase with a successful score of 13/15 and been retained for grant preparation by the European Commission Research Executive Agency in the context of Horizon 2020 - SwafS.
Founded in 2019 and selected in July 2020 under the Erasmus+ call for European Universities Initiatives, ENLIGHT stands for "European university Network to promote equitable quality of Life, sustainability and Global engagement through Higher education Transformation". Bringing together the University of Bordeaux along with eight other universities from the four corners of Europe, the alliance pursues an ambitious strategy for educational and research transformation in order to innovate methods of dealing with global, societal challenges. The strategy defines and addresses five main flagship challenges which are key determinants of societal well-being and sustainability: health and well-being, climate action, digital innovation, equity, energy transition and circularity.
The deployment of ENLIGHT RISE (Research and Innovation agenda with and for SociEty) will guide the ENLIGHT alliance as it defines its educational, research and innovation objectives, in partnership with surrounding ecosystems. ENLIGHT will thus be able to carry out a comprehensive joint transformation agenda, with the overarching goal of serving our societal missions, and promoting a greener, healthier, more equitable and sustainable Europe.
To reach these goals, ENLIGHT RISE will:
- establish a longer term business model for joint Research & Innovation (R&I) actions and set up a joint R&I support group,
- identify strong research synergies and initiate pilot projects with high innovation potential,
- enable the sharing of and optimize capacity of digital research infrastructures, while benchmarking and optimizing the societal impact of digital innovation/artificial intelligence,
- reinforce cooperation and co-creation with the business sector and civil-society,
- mainstream and incentivize open science practices and public engagement,
- improve the attractiveness of researchers’ careers,
- develop and formalize methods towards an impact-driven R&I agenda.
ENLIGHT RISE will enable the establishment of the foundations of the research and innovation components of the ENLIGHT European University alliance. By creating a support group for the development of specific alliance R&I projects, which results from the collaboration of all our respective support groups, ENLIGHT RISE will be able to further improve our performance in R&I projects within Horizon Europe.
Stéphanie Debette — Vice-President for External Relations