Rugby in the Land of the Rising Sun
From the 16th to the 25th of September 2019, a university rugby team will travel to Waseda University in Japan to represent the University of Bordeaux in the World University Rugby Invitation Tournament.
The University of Bordeaux has a short but rich history of special partnerships with Japanese universities. So, in 2018, when Waseda University asked if the University of Bordeaux wanted to take part in the World University Rugby Invitation Tournament, the answer was naturally yes.
Coached by Didier Soulie, 30 players, all students at the University of Bordeaux, will head to Japan to take on the best university teams in the world.
This international tournament is organized every 4 years and coincides with the Rugby World Cup, which takes place in Tokyo this year.
Teams in the 2019 tournament
Waseda University (Japan)
University of Bordeaux (France)
University of Oxford (UK)
University of British Columbia (Canada)
University College Dublin (Ireland)
Federal University of Siberia (Russia)
Korea University (South Korea)
University of Cape Town (South Africa)
China Agricultural University (China)
Harvard University (USA)
University of Georgia (Georgia)
New Zealand Universities (NZ)
University of Sydney (Australia)
Rugby 2023 objective
This trip to Japan is part of the “Rugby 2023” objective, as 2023 is the year that France will host the Rugby World Cup. The University of Bordeaux has already applied to organize the university tournament and has adopted a proactive approach to prepare for this occasion, as well as for the 2020 Tokyo and 2024 Paris Olympic Games. This approach involves:
- The launch of a university center for women’s rugby
- Signed partnerships with the Nouvelle-Aquitaine rugby league and the Union Bordeaux Bègles rugby club
- An epistemological study on rugby-related injuries, entrusted to the Bordeaux School of Public Health (ISPED) by the French Rugby Federation (100 French rugby clubs concerned)
- A SMART (sport, movement, ambition, research, technology) research platform
- The conversion of university facilities into High Quality Sports infrastructures (with the latest generation of rugby pitches)
Support this project
You can support this project by making a donation via the "Fondation Bordeaux Université" website.