The University of Bordeaux: leading the way in Raw Materials
Since 2015, the University of Bordeaux is a partner of the KIC EIT Raw Materials. This community is composed of more than 110 partners from different universities, industries (ranging from start-ups to large companies) and Research and Technology Organizations.
What does it mean – KIC EIT?
Created in 2008 by the European Commission, the EIT (“European Institute of Innovation & Technology”) brings the three sides of the knowledge triangle together: Universities, Industries and RTOs (Research and Technology Organizations). Within the EIT, six KICs (“Knowledge Innovation Communities”) have been formed and are dedicated to the following topics: InnoEnergy, Digital, Climate, Health, Food and Raw Materials.
What is the mission of the KIC EIT Raw Materials?
The ambitious objective of the KIC EIT Raw Materials is to transform the challenge of raw materials dependence into a strategic strength for Europe. It aims to boost the competitiveness, growth and attractiveness of the European raw materials sector via radical innovation and entrepreneurship.
In order to achieve this objective, the KIC EIT Raw Materials launches annual calls for projects within different fields:
- Substitution of critical and toxic materials in products and substitutions foroptimised performance
- Recycling and materials chain optimisation of end-of-life products
- Design of products and services for the circular economy
- Increased resource efficiency in mineral and metallurgical processes
- Exploration and raw materials resource assessment
- Mining in challenging environments
Calls for projects:
- Education: master and doctoral programs, lifelong learning, wider society learning, etc.
- Innovation: up-scaling projects in order to bring technologies from TRL (Technology Readiness Level) 5 to TRL 7, to develop infrastructure networks that combine existing facilities for industries, etc.
What is the role of UBx within the KIC EIT Raw Materials?
Since the beginning, the University of Bordeaux has been highly involved in the development of this community.
Some key figures (2015 - 2018)
- 9 education projects (5 as coordinator)
- 5 network projects
- 2 internationalization projects
As well as an up-scaling project (SUPERSMART - see below). And the years ahead promise many more projects as in 2018, 6 (out of 9) projects submitted by UBx during the call were selected. In 2019, the funding for the University of Bordeaux will be over 700 000 €.
Focus on three projects in which UBx is involved and which aim to develop the EU’s innovation capacity, environmental & social sustainability and human capital.
- Universities: KU Leuven, Belgium / Leiden university, the Netherlands / Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden / Coventry University, England, etc.
- Industries: Arkema, BASF, Suez, Veolia, Tat Steel, etc.
- RTOs: CEA, Fraunhofer, Tecnalia, VTT, etc.
Innovation Manager, University of Bordeaux
00 33 7 77 75 22 19
Contact by email
Find out more!
The next call for projects runs from October 2018 until end February 2019.