The department was created in 2019 and brings together 11 Inserm-certified university research teams (including one Inria team) and 4 emerging teams, within the Bordeaux Population Health Research Center. The department aims to lead research in different fields of public health including epidemiology, biostatistics, health computing, disability and health economics.
The work carried out by the department's researchers covers a wide range of pathologies (infectious diseases, neurology, oncology, ophthalmology, traumatology, mental health, disability), exposures (social, environmental, nutritional, drug, genetic factors), methods (epidemiology, biostatistics, computer science, health economics, ergonomics and human factors) and populations (young people, adults, the elderly, the general population, patient samples).
The Public health research department includes a technical IT platform (CREDIM), clinical trial management centers (CMG, MEREVA) and large research infrastructures such as cohorts, cancer registries and databases (3Cities, MEMENTO, Paquid on aging, I-Share on students, Aquitaine Cohort, HEPAVIH on patients infected with HIV and viral hepatitis, CESIR on drugs and road safety, PHYTONER on exposure to pesticides, etc.). In addition, the department collaborates with the Environmental and Occupational Health Department of Public Health France on joint projects.
Researchers from the Public health department make a major contribution to the teaching proposed at the Bordeaux School of Public Health (ISPED) which trains more than 1,000 students and professionals each year, as well as at the Graduate research program for Digital Public Health and the Medical Sciences teaching and research unit, the University Institute of Rehabilitation Sciences and the Mathematics and Interactions Training Unit.
Management / leadership
- Director: Rodolphe Thiébaut
- Deputy director: Christophe Tzourio
- Administrative and financial manager: Isabelle Bely
- Assistant: Marie-Hélène Carère
- Communication: Valerie Garcia
The department encourages scientific outreach by supporting the organization of events such as monthly seminars, symposia and congresses, by offering all members of its teams and external researchers, students and partners the possibility to attend scientific events and watch videos on the ISPED Youtube channel.
> find out more about the seminar program
It also provides external and internal communication via the Hebdo-Infos Public Health newsletter. This tool relays targeted public health information from expert sites, media, blogs, newsletters etc. and promotes events organized by member teams and partners.
> subscribe to the department's newsletter to access or share information.
- 11 research teams, 4 emerging teams
- 1 technical IT platform: Health Computing Resource and Development Center, 1 document library
- 474 staff: 133 lecturer-researchers/university hospital researchers, 30 post-docs, 38 engineers, technicians, administrative staff, 177 contract workers, 96 doctoral students
Component structures of the department
The Public health department is composed of one primary unit: the Bordeaux Population Health Research Center (BPH - Inserm U1219).
Teams accredited in the 2016-2021 contracts
- Team 1 – Psycho-epidemiology of Aging and Chronic Illness - SEPIA
- Team 2 - Infectious Diseases in Developing Countries - IDLIC
- Team 3 - Integrative and Genetic Epidemiology of Cerebral and Vascular Ageing - VINTAGE
- Team 4 - Full Life Exposure, Health, Ageing - LEHA
- Team 5 - Biostatistics
- Team 6 - Youth Health and Success - HEALTHY
- Team 7 - Trauma Prevention and Care - IETO
- Team 8 - Cancer Epidemiology and Environmental Exposure - EPICENE
- Team 9 - Population Medication and Health
- Team 10 - Translational Medicine Statistics - ITMIS (and Inria BSO)
- Team 11 - HIV, Viral Hepatitis and Comorbidity: Clinical Epidemiology and Public Health MORPH3Eus
- Team 12 – Health Computing - ERIAS
- Team 13 – Economics/Management of Health Organizations - EMOS
- Team 14 - Interventional Research Methods for Population Health - MRISP
- Team 15 - Handicap – Activity – Cognition - Health - HACS
Clinical Epidemiology (EC) module of the Bordeaux Clinical Investigation Center (CIC 14.01)
Platforms and technical centers
Health Computing Resource and Development Center
The Component council is composed of 30 members, including 15 lecturer-researchers and researchers, 8 support staff, 4 doctoral and post-doctoral students and 3 external members.
The committee is chaired by the director of the department and composed of the deputy director (BPH U1219 director) and the 15 team leaders at the Bordeaux Population Health Research Center.
The Scientific council is composed of 5 international experts who are appointed by the Director after consulting the department council for a term of 4 years.
- CREDIM (Health Computing Resource and Development Center)
- EUCLID/FCRIN (EUropean CLInical Trials Platform & Development)
- Bordeaux University Hospital
- Institut Bergonié (Nouvelle Aquitaine Regional Center for the Fight Against Cancer (CLCC))
- Inserm (French National Institute for Health and Medical Research)
- Inria (French National Research Institute for Digital Sciences)
- ANRS (French National Agency for Research on AIDS and Viral Hepatitis)
Administrative & financial manager
05 57 57 14 64
Contact by email
05 57 57 48 96
Contact by email
Bordeaux-Carreire Campus, Bordeaux Population Health - UMR Inserm U1219
Building TP, 146 rue Léo Saignat
CS 61292 / 33076 Bordeaux Cedex
05 57 57 10 33
Contact by email
Discover our multidisciplinary, interdisciplinary and international research!
Epidemiology, biostatistics, pharmaco-epidemiology, genetic epidemiology, public health, population health, global health, health in developing countries, evaluation, health promotion, prevention, aging, vascular and cerebral aging, chronic diseases, infectious diseases, HIV infection, neurology, cancer, ophthalmology, traumatology, mental health, youth health, translational medicine, vaccinology, BIG DATA, clinical epidemiology, health economics, health computing, artificial intelligence, environment, nutrition, medication, psychology, elderly, Alzheimer's, disability, ethics.