Functional Advanced Materials Engineering with Artificial Intelligence for Sustainability (FAMEAIS)
This international Erasmus Mundus Master program covers the synthesis, characterization and processing of all classes of materials.
- Academic cooperation: Université de Liège, Université Catholique de Louvain (Belgium), Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble (coordinator), University of Bordeaux (France), Universität Augsburg, Technische Universität Darmstadt (Germany), Universidade de Aveiro (Portugal).
- Associated partners: Industry - Schneider Electric Industries SAS; SOLVAY; Robert BOSCH Gmbh; MERCK, etc. / Research & Technology Organizations: EMMI; CEA; Fraunhofer, etc. / Worldwide Associated Universities: University of Waterloo (Canada); Okayama University (Japan); Virginia Tech University (USA); University of Sao Paulo (Brazil); VNU Hanoi University of Science (Vietnam), etc.
- Admission requirements: Hold a Bachelor degree in material science or in physics/physical chemistry/chemistry/engineering with a speciality in the field of materials.
- Program duration: 2 years (120 ECTS).
- Language requirements: All courses are taught in English. Applicants must attach an official language test report to their application. Please note: these minimum requirements are very strict. If the applicant score does not fulfill the minimum requirements, he/she is not eligible to apply and the application cannot be processed.
- IELTS (Academic IELTS only): overall Band Score: 6 / writing Band Score: 5
- TOEFL, total score: 92 (IBT), 550 (PBT) / writing score: 22 (IBT), 4.0 (PBT)
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English / Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English: Grades accepted: A, B, C
- Level: Double Master degree in “Material Science” awarded by the two consortium universities where the student has studied.
- Tuition fees: Annual fees for Erasmus Mundus scholarship holders and self-funded students:
- 9,000€/yr for third-country students,
- 4,000€/yr for European students. FAMEAIS tuition fees are covered by the Erasmus Mundus grant. Self-funded students should apply for other grant schemes (see below). Students from partner universities benefit from a fee-waiver and pay only local tuition fees defined by their home university.
- Grants: Erasmus Mundus scholarships / Mobility grants from partners / Mobility grants from applicant countries (e.g. CONACYT in Mexico) / Mobility grants from bilateral agreements (e.g. Indian-French Raman-Charpak Fellowships)
- Bordeaux / Darmstadt track: Bordeaux mobility grants / International Master IdEx grants (Bordeaux students following M1 in Darmstadt / international students following Bordeaux / Darmstadt track) / Eiffel grants (international students already enrolled in Darmstadt for M1, covering 2nd yr in Bordeaux) / DAAD grants (Bordeaux students covering 1st yr in Darmstadt) / AquiMob grants (www.aquimob.fr).
The FAMEAIS Master is a two-year Master of Science Program in Advanced Functional Materials. It is taught in English (100%) at seven universities, leaders in the field.
This program provides high-level academic and researchoriented education on the synthesis, characterization and processing of all classes of materials with emphasis on “Advanced Hybrid Materials and Ceramics by Design” in Bordeaux.
The program helps students develop a creative thinking mindset and leadership skills, along with a keen awareness of social and industrial needs, thanks to innovative learning practices that include extensive, collaborative projects.
European mobility is mandatory during the two-year Master program thus taking advantage of the complementary skills of the universities in the network. In the last decade, more than 200 students have graduated from the FAMEAIS Master.
The FAMEAIS program consists of four semesters (30 ECTS each) including a Master thesis in a European research laboratory.
- The first two semesters establish a firm background in Chemistry and Physics of Materials. Professional skills are developed through the FAMEAIS/e project.
- The third semester is dedicated to a specialization provided by one of the partner universities as world-leading expert. It is composed of mandatory and optional courses. For students studying in Bordeaux, the specialization is “Advanced Hybrid Materials and Ceramics by Design”.
- The last semester is dedicated to the Master thesis, prepared in the academic or industrial research laboratories of the FAMEAIS network.
How to apply?
- Online application via this link
- Erasmus Mundus scholarship: 1st recruitment wave mid-January
- Self-funded students, students applying for external grants (IdEx, Eiffel, DAAD, Aquimob...): 2nd recruitment wave in mid-April.
Dr. Michael Josse
Master FAMEAIS coordination
Erasmus Mundus Action 1 fosters cooperation between higher education institutions and academic staff in Europe and Third Countries with a view to creating poles of excellence and providing highly trained human resources. Joint programs of outstanding academic quality are designed and implemented by a consortium of European universities from at least three different countries. Consortia may also include universities from other parts of the world. Programs include obligatory study and research periods, in at least two universities, and award recognized double or multiple degrees.