University of the Basque Country / Euskampus
The University of the Basque Country (UPV / EHU) is the main research institution of the autonomous community of the Basque Country, generating 65% of scientific production. In 2010 the university was attributed the “International Campus of Excellence” label by the Spanish ministry of education.
In a nutshell
The University of the Basque Country is spread across three campuses in all three Basque provinces of the autonomous community of the Basque Country (Euskadi): Campus de Biscaye (Bilbao/Leioa), Campus de Gipuzkoa (San Sebastian/Eibar) and Campus d’Alava (Vitoria-Gasteiz). A multidisciplinary institution, UPV/EHU offers 255 study programs and counts 45,000 students, including over 2,000 international students.
The national “Campus of Excellence” label launched in France and Spain in 2011 was awarded to both the University of Bordeaux (IdEx Bordeaux) and the University of the Basque Country (Euskampus), in association with their respective partners. This represented the ideal occasion to strengthen the strategic alliance between the two universities. Since then, within the framework of a wide framework agreement signed in November 2014, IdEx Bordeaux and Euskampus work together on a major shared project: the installation of a euro-regional pole of university excellence with a strong international reputation.
This euro-regional campus focuses on strengthening support to the research community to order to increase the number of co-tutelles and international collaboration projects as well as developing ties with the socio-economic tissue of the Euro-Region Nouvelle-Aquitaine-Euskadi-Navarre. It also aims to create shared value on the following topics:
- Mobility: by encouraging exchanges between universities (students, researchers, professors);
- Education: by creating a joint educational offer;
- Communication: by promoting the internationalization of the two sites.
Our collaboration concerns various fields of study: from management to chemistry, including lasers, law and oceanography, practically all the disciplines taught on our campus sites are covered. Particular attention is paid to our Clusters of Excellence.
Dates and key figures
- Two Bordeaux-Euskampus symposia (November 2014 and 2015). The next symposium is programmed for June 2017.
- 3 double degrees and several more in progress
- 7 collaborative European teaching and research projects
- 25 students following co-tutelle theses
- Two joint transnational laboratory projects: “QuantumChemPhys”, in Theoretical Chemistry and Physics at the Quantum Scale and AENIGME in Advanced Manufacturing.
- 21 Erasmus+ agreements
Our Alliance with the University of Bordeaux is becoming a hallmark of Euro-regional transborder cooperation in Europe.
Nekane Balluerka — Rector of University of the Basque Country
1980: creation of the University of Basque Country (officially Universidad del País Vasco / Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea, UPV / EHU)
For more information, please consult the University of the Basque Country website.