University of the Basque Country / Euskampus
The University of the Basque Country (UPV / EHU) is the main research institution of the autonomous community of the Basque Country, generating 65% of scientific production. In 2010 the university was attributed the “International Campus of Excellence” label by the Spanish ministry of education.
In a nutshell
The University of the Basque Country is spread across three campuses, one in each of the Basque provinces that make up the autonomous community of the Basque Country (Euskadi): Campus de Biscaye (Bilbao/Leioa), Campus de Gipuzkoa (San Sebastian/Eibar) and Campus d’Alava (Vitoria-Gasteiz). A multidisciplinary institution, UPV/EHU offers 255 study programs and counts 45,000 students, including over 2,000 international students.
Boosted by their respective "Campus of Excellence" projects, IdEx University of Bordeaux and Euskampus in 2011, the Universities of Bordeaux and the Basque Country became official partners in 2014, thanks to a framework agreement concerning the creation of a Euro-regional Campus of Excellence. This Euskampus Bordeaux campus brings togethers a community of over 110,000 students, 9,000 researchers and nearly 5,000 administrative staff.
This Euro-regional campus represents a rich and structured network of collaborative projects, in line with the three-year action plan validated in June 2018 and with a focus on the following topics: education, research and innovation, territorial anchorage and internationalization; projects linked to the vast Euro-regional territory and its international environment.
These collaborative projects reinforce our collaboration and promote the attractivity of both universities. They include: double degrees at Bachelor and Master level, cotutelle theses, European research partnerships, cross-border joint laboratories (LTC) based a variety of disciplines, numerous exchange programs for students, researchers and administrative staff, action plans to develop employability, multilingualism, pedagogical innovation, as well as partnerships with territorial sectors of excellence, regional authorities and companies dedicated to business priorities (aeronautics, blue economy, health, etc.)
The Euskampus Foundation is in charge of the implementation of the Euskampus Bordeaux campus.
- 110 students in long-term mobility programs (minimum of 3 months)
- Over 300 students in short-term mobility programs (one to several days) involved in trans-border meetings or activities (seminars, summer universities, workshops, etc.)
- Six double degree programs at Bachelor and Master level created or in the process of being created (marine resources, polymers, oenology, physics/chemistry, sports traumatology etc.) in connection with leading-edge sectors in the region
- 40 jointly-supervised PhD theses initiated (thesis supervised by a Bordeaux director and a Basque director to obtain a doctorate degree from both universities)
- Development of an active community of over 300 researchers who collaborate in various fields (additive manufacturing, aeronautics, aging, autoimmune diseases, translational biophysics, art and science, multilinguism and education, industrial organization, chemistry and physics at the quantum scale, marine resources, educational innovation, mathematics etc.) and work together on research projects, exchange programs for Master's students (internship etc.), sharing of research facilities and inviting research professors for master-classes
- Creation of three cross-border research laboratories ("Mathematics and its Applications" lab, “AENIGME” lab for advanced manufacturing, “QuantumChemPhys” lab for theoretical aspects of chemistry and physics at the quantum scale), and three others in the phase of planning
- Celebration of 5 Euskampus-Bordeaux symposiums, held alternately in the Nouvelle Aquitaine region and in Euskadi, with over 250 participants for each edition
- Joint participation in 10 large-scale projects presented through European, Euro-regional or national calls for projects
- Award of the Diálogo France prize in 2018, highlighting the leading role of our establishments in terms of developing academic and scientific cooperation between France and Spain
Our alliance with the University of Bordeaux is a symbol of Euro-regional cross-border cooperation in Europe.
Nekane Balluerka — Rector of University of the Basque Country
1980: creation of the University of Basque Country (officially Universidad del País Vasco / Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea, UPV / EHU)
For more information, please consult the Euskampus Foundation website.