Light Sciences and Technologies
This international Master program focuses on knowledge and innovation in light sciences and technologies, providing a multidisciplinary environment for high-level research and education.
- Academic cooporation: The Master is operated along with the Institut d’Optique Graduate School (IOGS). Strong partnerships exist with:
- Canada: Université Laval & Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique (INRS)
- Germany: Abbe School of Photonics (FSU Jena)
- South Korea: Yonsei University
- Brazil: São Paulo State University (UNESP)
- Admission requirements: Candidates must hold a Bachelor degree in Physics, Chemistry, Biology or equivalent.
- Program duration: 2 years (120 ECTS)
- Language requirements: Program taught entirely in English, a B2 level (minimum) is required.
- Level: Master of Science.
- Fees and Scholarships:
- Annual registration fees for all selected applicants are calculated according to the rules and regulations of the University of Bordeaux.
- Scholarships may be granted toselected applicants according to criteria of excellence.
The international Master in Light Sciences and Technologies (LIGHT S&T) is part of the University of Bordeaux Graduate Research School. Selected within the French “Investments for the Future” program as an “Initiative of Excellence”, the program focuses on knowledge and innovation in light sciences and technologies, providing a multidisciplinary environment for first-class research and education. Students are offered cross-disciplinary training with a strong emphasis on innovation and entrepreneurship. The Graduate Program in Light Sciences and Technologies is an integrated, interdisciplinary program, provided by both academic and industrial experts.
The LIGHT S&T training program is structured around 4 complementary pillars:
- Scientific courses, lectures and practical training to acquire wide-ranging knowledge in the broad spectrum of light S&T.
- Advanced practical sessions in laboratory courses along with an internship in an industrial or research oriented institution.
- Research-based training that provides a strong skill set thanks to the interdisciplinary fields of research of the University of Bordeaux.
- Transferable skills training (innovation and project management, entrepreneurship, market intelligence, business plan, communication, etc).
Please note: students benefit from individual tutorship throughout all four semesters.
Strengths of this Master program?
- An integrated, interdisciplinary program, provided by both academic and industrial experts. The Master is embedded in a cross-fertilizing research environment, adapted to future professions within photonic industries.
- A cross-cutting and immersive training for students, thanks to the strong involvement of 15 research laboratories as well as industrial R&D centers.
- A “hands-on” training approach that provides graduates with valuable professional attributes. Training is delivered in state of the art research facilities and infrastructures.
- International mobility and / or training within the industrial sector.
- Support provided by the International Masters program within the Bordeaux “Initiative of Excellence” and the French National Research Agency.
How to apply?
Applications may be completed online via this link.
Documents necessary for the selection procedure:
- Official transcripts, copies of all previous diplomas
- Copy of passport (or ID card if European)
- Copy of birth certificate (if non-European)
- Cover letter and CV (in English)
- Letter of reference
- Language test results (ECTS, TOIEC, IEL, etc.) or certificate of studies from an English speaking High School
Applications for 2019/2020 are now open!
To apply for the Master program, starting as of September 2019, please contact us.