Light Sciences and Technologies
This international Master is a Graduate Program of the University of Bordeaux Graduate Research School. The program focuses on knowledge and innovation in light sciences and technologies and provides a multidisciplinary environment for first-class research and education.
- Academic cooperation: The Master is operated along with the Institut d’Optique Graduate School (IOGS). Strong partnerships exist with:
- Canada: Université Laval & Institut National de la Recherche Scientifique (INRS)
- Germany: Abbe School of Photonics (FSU Jena)
- Admission requirements: Candidates must hold a Bachelor degree in Physics, Chemistry, Biology or equivalent.
- Program duration: 2 years (120 ECTS)
- Language requirements: Program taught entirely in English, a B2 level (minimum) is required.
- Level: Master of Science.
- Fees and Scholarships:
- Annual registration fees for all selected applicants are calculated according to the rules and regulations of the University of Bordeaux.
- Scholarships of 750€ per month may be granted to selected applicants according to criteria of excellence.
The international Master in Light Sciences and Technologies (LIGHT S&T) is a Graduate Program of the University of Bordeaux Graduate Research School.
Selected within the French “Investments for the Future” program as an “Initiative of Excellence”, the program focuses on knowledge and innovation in light sciences and technologies, providing a multidisciplinary environment for first-class research and education. Students are offered cross-disciplinary training with a strong emphasis on innovation and entrepreneurship. The Graduate Program in Light Sciences and Technologies is an integrated, interdisciplinary program, provided by both academic and industrial experts.
The LIGHT S&T training program is structured around 4 complementary pillars:
- Scientific courses, lectures and practical training to acquire wide-ranging knowledge in the broad spectrum of light S&T.
- Advanced practical sessions in laboratory courses along with an internship in an industrial or research oriented institution.
- Research-based training that provides a strong skill set thanks to the interdisciplinary fields of research of the University of Bordeaux.
- Transferable skills training (innovation and project management, entrepreneurship, market intelligence, business plan, communication, etc).
Please note: students benefit from individual tutorship throughout all four semesters.
Strengths of this Master program?
- An integrated, interdisciplinary program, provided by both academic and industrial experts.
- A “hands-on”, cross-cutting and immersive training in research laboratories and cutting-edge facilities.
- International mobility opportunities and / or training within the industrial sector.
- Double degree opportunity with the Institut d’Optique Graduate School.
- Paid internship as of the first year of the Master program.
- Support provided by the International Master program within the Bordeaux “Initiative of Excellence” and the French National Research Agency.
How to apply?
Applications may be completed online via this link.
Documents necessary for the selection procedure:
- Official transcripts, copies of all previous diplomas
- Copy of passport (or ID card if European)
- Cover letter and CV (in English)
- Language test results (ECTS, TOIEC, IEL, etc.) or certificate of studies from an English speaking High School
- If applying for a scolarship, two letters of recommendation are requested